Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mixed Martial Arts

As a person who doesn't do karate or any type of fighting, I am surprised that I am a big MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) fan. Every month, there is one saturday where me and my friends go out and watch the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) pay per view. My favorite place to go to watch is buffalo wild wings only because they have so many TV's that one can watch the fights from. But what I find sort of weird is that how I got into MMA because three years ago, I couldn't have cared less about the UFC or any other type of mixed martial arts fights. What really sparked my interest was when a man named Kimbo Slice started posting his fights on the internet. Since I usually look at break.com a lot, I remember seeing this huge, steroid induced person fighting this other person and I was actually entertained by it. I always wanted Kimbo to loose because I like to root for the under dog, but I also wanted him to loose because of the people who he would fight. Kimbo would always fight some random fat person off the street, beat him up, and then think of himself as a great fighter. So after a year of fighting street thugs, Kimbo did his first fight in actual MMA event against a mid 40 year old boxer named Ray Mercer. I was stoked to see this fight because I thought Kimbo would get his but kicked because there was no way that he could beat a boxer at his own game. Kimbo actually did win, but it was only because he got Ray Mercer in a standard issued Guillotine choke hold that Ray Mercer probably never seen before because in Boxing, you don't use choke holds. After that, Kimbo beat another 40 year old washed up fighter then he faced a person named Seth Petrozelli. I thought Kimbo was going to win because Seth was only 225 punds and he was 250 punds, but Seth did a quick jab to the face and Kimbo went down for the count. To be fair though, Kimbo is very humble and isn't a bad person, I just wanted the underdog to win for a change. But thanks to Kimbo, I actually watch MMA (mostly UFC) as a past time. If you want to get into MMA, I would reccomend watching the UFC and trying to research what happened in the past so you aren't confused as to who is good, bad, or just plain evil.

1 comment:

  1. I'd have to say that I've never really found MMA or UFC interesting, but you'd probably say the same thing about car/truck shows that I like to watch. That is what is so great about TV: there are so many different things to watch. Unfortunately, most of the time two or more good shows are on at the same time and the rest of the time there is nothing else to watch. Oh well, that's why we have PCs, movies, and the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete