Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Modest Proposal

Ok, I know what I am about to say may sound dumb and downright awful but trust me, it will all make sense by the end of the blog. As a person who generally likes the environment, I do try to seek out solutions to common problems. I like to think about the whole situation and not come to conclusions too quickly. A major environmental problem of today is endangered species. I want all species to exist and I think it's awful, lets say, that tigers could one day extinct. But what should be the solution? Tigers have been on the protected species list for awhile now but it doesn't seem that tigers are making a rapid comeback (In fact the tiger population is still declining). I used to think that more police and military should be use to stop poachers, but that is nearly impossible considering other countries are involved; and I don't think more police would help anyways because it would cost too much money and it's not that easy patrolling the whole habitat of poachers. Since countries already banned the sale of tiger products and other endangered animal products (which really hasn't worked because the tiger population is decreasing), why can't we do the opposite and farm endangered animals? If people were to farm an animal like a tiger, that farmer would want to breed tigers and protect them from outsiders. Farming buffalo is what saved the buffalo population. During the westward expansion, the Americans slaughtered the buffalo to nearly extinction. But today, there is nearly a half of million buffalo that roam the United States today. By farming any animal, it gives people a reason to keep that animal alive. I know that most people don't want Tigers killed at all, but in some cultures, their bones can help dull their physical pain. Asking those people to change their culture I don't think is going to work and it has proven ineffective by the rapid decline inspite of tiger products being illegal. Please tell me what you think about the issue and whether you disagree or agree, I would love to hear all of your opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment